Monday, February 26, 2018

Temple Forks Outfitters TFD Big Fish Spinning Rods



Before my recent trip to Papua New Guinea for Giant Trevally, I talked to friend and IGFA Hall of Fame member, Larry Dahlberg.  Larry made a phone call on my behalf to Jim Shulin of TFO.  Jim provided me with a few TFD Big Fish Spinning Rod blanks in models 86P3 and 86P2.  I then sent to blanks to Thorne Brothers in Minnesota to have master rod builder, Lonnie, build the rods to my specifications.  I took the P3 model to PNG as a tad stronger than the P2.  The rods turned out great.  Was trying to see if a big GT would break the rod.  I was able to handle GTs up to approximately 80 lbs on these blanks.

So in my opinion they can handle practically every fish which swims as the GT are extremely powerful and put a hurt on many rods!  As of today, TFO is not selling the spinning rod models, just the baitcasting rods.  However, am sure you can get in touch with either Larry on his website www.huntforbigfish.com or contact Jim Shulin at TFO about getting some blanks. You can then contact a master rod builder such as Lonnie at www.thornebrothers.com.   Next year I hope to put a 100 lbs GT on the end of these rods!

1 comment:

  1. Were these travel rods or one piece..planning PNG trip and Australian reef trip, looking for appropriate travel rods, both conventional and spinning

    ReplyDelete