Saturday, June 17, 2017

YELLOWCHEEK IN CHINA

On June 2 I took Air Canada out of Chicago via Toronto to Shanghai China to fish for Yellowcheek Carp.  3 other friends from Chicago met me at the Shanghai Airport along with a representative from the fishing lake where we would fish for 4 days.  We rode in a comfortable van about 2 hours to a 5 star hotel, www.tey.sh.cn.  After unpacking and getting a much needed rest we took a golf cart about 5 min from the hotel to Mingzhu Lake where the big Yellowcheek swim.  Mingzhu Lake is a very small, shallow body of water which was originally a tributary of the Yangtze River's esturary then embanked into a lake in the early 1970s.  We fished out of very comfortable bass boats powered by 60 hp Mercury outboards.  The 2 areas of concentration on the lake is where there are flows of water which is on the north and south side.  This flow attracts bighead carp which is the main diet of the Yellowcheek.  The lures of choice were approx.. 6 in swimbaits such as the Jackall Gantarel and Gantarel Jr.  Fishing was on the slow side, however
, I did land a Yellowcheek and a Stargazer.  One in the group had did very well with Yellowcheek est. around 100 and 70lbs.  I have no clue as to why they are called "carp" as they have large pointed mouths with large V shaped tails which give them tremendous speed.  The last day of our trip I had an extremely large Yellowcheek exploded on my Gantarel but however did not get hooked.  During the stay I found the Chinese people to be some of the friendliest folks I have encountered.  They are extremely hard working people. I did not see the military presence nor the poverty areas we often of American Television.  If I did not know better I would have thought I was fishing in NW WI due to the numerous Pine Trees surrounding the lake.  The weather was not extremely hot with temp probably in the mid 80s.  We did have some rain during the stay.
 We had no problems whatsoever going through customs in China.  Hopefully someday I get the opportunity to return to attempt to catch the one that got away.  Will definately practice with some chop sticks too!! Believe me that American Chinese Food is nothing like "Chinese Food"!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment