Sunday, May 26, 2024

Jurassic Lake Lodge, Argentina Patagonia May 4 to 11, 2024

 

Jurassic Lake, aka Lago Strobel, has become one of my favorite places to wet a line.  Jurassic Lake Lodge is owned by friend, Carlos Casanello whom I have known for many years.  Jurassic Lake Lodge sits next to the Barrancoso River which is the only Rio feeding the lake.  The fishing outside the river mouth is normally redhot.  Prior to leaving for the lodge, I spent about a week in El Calafate visiting El Chaltin and the Moreno Glacier.  Chaltin had lots of snow, so hiking was impossible.  The Moreno Glacier is a must to see site.  I have visited both places numerous times and never get tired of the beauty.  In Calafate, I stayed at Bla! Lodge which is located about a mile out of town.  The lodge is small, about 10 rooms, and has a great view of the snowcapped mountains.

  The breakfast is superb, and the cost is very reasonable.  A few days I walked to the Bay of Lago Argentino to view the pink flamingos.

A day before I was set to go to Jurassic Lake Lodge, I was informed that there was over a few feet of snow which made the 5 hour drive impossible as one drives to the end of the paved highway in a lodge van, then transfers into 

4x4 pickup trucks.  The lodge worked around the clock for three days with snowplows to clear the road.  Once arriving at Jurassic, there was about a foot of snow on the ground and the river was frozen.  We set up our gear after breakfast and the fishing for rainbows was amazing.  We had tough conditions with little to no wind which is not good at Jurassic as the rainbows prefer howling winds. I was teamed with long time guide friend, Jose Escalda.  Jose said the fishing was really good with lots of "chromers" being landed.  On my first cast to the right of the river mouth I had a huge strike which resulted in trophy rainbow.  The fishing continued to be good the entire three days we were at the lodge.  My largest pushed the scales to 20.0 lbs. while another in camp caught a trophy weighing 20.2lbs.

In my opinion, the end of April and the beginning of May is the best time at Jurassic Lake to catch huge chromers weighing over 20 lbs.  These "chromers" put on a great fight and often jump.  If you can put up with some snow and wind, book this timeframe ASAP before the word gets out!!




No comments:

Post a Comment