Thursday, December 31, 2020

My 2020 in review

 


2020-What a year!  Hopefully everyone, their family, and friends were able to withstand the covid issue.  I truly believe the best is yet to come, making 2021 a year we cannot wait to arrive!  

In January, 2020, I traveled back to wet a line in the Coral Sea off of Papua New Guinea with friend, Bruce Cross. 


We were under the guidance of friend, Luke Wyrsta, who operates Rock Expeditions.  We slept under the stars in one man tents positioned on white sand beaches which were located on a remote island about a 2 hr boat ride from Misima Island.  The waters are teaming with Giant Travally, Dogtooth Tuna, and other brutes.  Papua New Guinea offers fishermen the best odds of landing the beautiful Napolean Wrasse.

  Nothing can compare to the topwater strikes exhibited by Giant Travelly.  This was my 3rd trip to Papua New Guinea fishing with Rock Expeditions.  I was fortunate to land numerous Giant Trevally up to 80 pounds while casting huge poppers.  Bruce was blessed to land the fish of my dreams, the Napoleon Wrasse while jigging for Dogtooth tuna. God willing I will be returning for another arm bruising battle in December 2021.  

During February, covid put a stop to International travel.  I had to postpone trips to Russia for taimen, a few trips to La Zona in Argentina for golden dorado, a few trips to Jurassic lake lodge in Argentina for rainbow trout, and a trip to the remote jungles of Papua New Guinea for Papua black bass.  Hopefully I can get these trips in during 2021!  

In July, I traveled with a few friends to Venice, LA to fish for redfish with Capt. Keith Kennedy of Born To Fish Charters.  The fishing was good and all of us were glad to get out of the house. 


In August, I returned again to fish with Capt. Keith.  The bite was on fire and perhaps my best trip for redfish to date.  Capt. Keith knows the waters well and always puts us on the bite.  Anxious to return for a few trips in 2021!

During the covid period, I have spent the majority of time living with my mom in Wisconsin.  I still remain Vice President of St. Paul Lutheran Church in Whiting.  My dad passed away in September.  I am convinced he died indirectly of covid as the family could not visit him in the assisted living home since February. Dad was still good of mind but just gave up.  He was able to return home for 1 day from the assisted living home before passing away which I thank God for letting us see and talk to him.  

So, 2021 should be a great year.  If I am extremely fortunate, I will land a huge Napoleon Wrasse in Papua New Guinea, land a trophy  taimen in Russia, and land more monster golden dorado, rainbow trout, redfish, giant trevally, dogtooth tuna, coral trout, Papua Black Bass, and the list goes on and on.

May God Bless each of you and your families!

Have and great 2021 and hope all your dreams come true!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment