Sunday, January 8, 2023

JIGGING EQUIPMENT FOR GIANT DOGTOOTH TUNA


During my recent trip to Papua New Guinea with Rock Expeditions, I was able to battle some huge dogtooth tuna while jigging.  One afternoon, our group of six, landed over 25 doggies in 2 hours with 2 pushing the scales into triple digits.  We were fishing about 100 yards offshore so am sure a few could have been caught wading from shore.  I am extremely happy with the Temple Reef Monstro 2-piece butt jointed jigging rod, 510S-XX.  The rod is 5ft 10 inch rated for jigs up to 800 grams and braid up to PE 10.  I teamed with up with a Daiwa Catalina 6500H which has a very powerful drag at 30 kg while holding up to 300 meters of PE 8 braid.  Williamson Abyss jigs weighing 300 grams were the ticket for me, landing multiple doggies and others.  

For conventional jigging, I used a BlackHole CapeCod Special 52B teamed up with a Daiwa Saltiga LD-40 2 speed.  The Saltiga has a 5:8 gear ratio in high and 3:1:1 in low.  It can hold lots of braid.  The BlackHole is rated for jigs up to 450 grams.

Eventually, I will start using a slow pitch jigging setup.  I have a Temple Reef Elevate E3 6ft 9in which can handle jigs up to 400 grams.  I also have a Daiwa Harrier HSP66HB which also can handle jigs to 400 grams.  I plan on teaming up with a Shimano Torium 16PG conventional reel.  
So, there are many options on jigging for dogtooth.  Make sure you have quality equipment to handle one of the strongest species I have landed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment